Wednesday, February 13, 2008

WATSON JOURNAL|ca.1918–19

This photograph (a reproduction my father had made in 1968) shows his grandmother Minnie Laura Wood Dobson (1864–1946) with several other women from Watson, Arkansas. His handwriting on the back identifies the women and dates the photo ca. 1918-19.

"Left to right: Edna Rice holds her daughter [but after research I think this is her son]; the young girl is Olive Griffith; behind Olive is Minnie Laura Dobson [with glasses]; then Mrs. Elva Rayder; little girl in front of her is Tootsie Rayder [this is actually Vivian Rayder]; older little girl is Audry Wilson; older lady is Mrs. Ezell."

They are all dressed up and without coats, so my guess is that the occasion for the group photograph is Easter Sunday. There seems to have been no shortage of cameras in either of my father’s parents’ families in rural southeast Arkansas, but it was still mostly special occasions that pictures were taken. Another guess is that my great grandfather, David Erastus Dobson (1862–1949), Minnie Laura’s husband, took this. But Granddaddy (Eugene Dobson Sr.) was about 14 and my Uncle Harry was about 17, both living at home, so one of them could have.

I found everybody in this picture on two pages of the 1920 Census of Watson, Redfork Township, Desha Co., taken on 10 Feb. 1920 by John Oakes, Enumerator.

On page 1:

Front Street:

Line 22: Edna Rice, age 19, is with her husband T. J. Rice and their son Thomas Rice, age 13 months. The census lists Mr. Rice working as a merchant in a grocery store. Edna's parents were from Indiana; Minnie Laura Dobson and David Erastus Dobson had come almost thirty years before from Mauckport, Harrison County, Indiana. Did the Dobsons know Edna’s family in Indiana?

Clay Street:

Line 33: Olive Griffith is nine years old, living with her family. Her father, H. D. Griffith Sr., from Mississippi, worked as a carpenter.

Line 35: Elva Rayder and her husband B. W. Rayder live with their four children, Samuel 17, Fern 16, Raymond 9 and Vivian [the census taker wrote 'Virginia'], age 5. Mrs. Elva Rayder and Benjamin W. Rayder are buried in the Watson Cemetery, according to the book, Desha County, Arkansas Cemetery Records, and posted online. Minnie Laura is buried next to her husband David Erastus Dobson there also. Thanks very much to Raylene Rayder Taylor, the granddaughter of Elva A. Haynes Rayder, for correcting the identification of her aunt Vivian.

On page 3 of the same census...

Front Street, living next door to D. E. and Minnie L. Dobson (and their sons Harry E., 18, and Eugene, 15, my grandfather) are (line 36) Margarett A. Ezzell, a widow, and her son Jerry [?] L. Ezzell, age 32, who works at a logging camp, and her granddaughter Audy [?] Wilson, age 12.

Bit of background

Watson, Arkansas, in Desha County, is a tiny little town out on the flat fertile lands by the Mississippi River where my grandfather grew up, the youngest of five children; his father owned a General Store. Later, Granddaddy married Lois Elizabeth Peacock of Tillar, built a house on Front Street near the railroad tracks, and they had a son, Eugene Dobson, Jr., my father. The family moved to Pine Bluff around the time Daddy was in high school. After Granny died in 1972, Granddaddy moved back to Watson, and lived there until his death at age 96. He is buried in the Tillar Cemetery (Drew County), next to his wife and son.

Sources:

Ancestry.com or Heritage Quest sometimes you can access these through your public library.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ardesha/watsoncem.htm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ardesha/newtncem.htm

8 comments:

Brandy Roebuck said...

Watson is one of the prettiest places . Time has stood still there. I live in Newport Beach, Ca right on the Pacific Ocean and I must say that I sometimes ponder on the beauty of Watson and the hidden beauty there. My grandparents and other relatives still reside there. My heart is in Watson.

Rachel Dobson said...

I'm so glad to hear someone else thinks so. The whole delta area with its flat, sometimes bleak, expanses has its own beauty. I will be posting more on Watson, so please keep in touch. rd

Billy Charles Covey said...

I fear that Watson as it was known in my youth is but a memory to be gone forever once my generation has passed. Still, I have the pleasure of looking back in time and enjoying what once was. Watson Is Where It Wuz!

Michael Rice said...

I have been a professional musician in new York city since 1977, but was a graduate of Watson High in 1971. It is still home to me and I think of it daily. I knew both Lois and Gene Dobson and often played her organ at the Methodist Church. In the fall, I still think of the comforting humming that Mckennon's Cotton Gin made all night long. michael rice

Michael Rice said...

I have been a professional musician in New York City since 1977. But i graduated from Watson high in 1971. i knew both Lois and Gene Dobson and played her organ frequently after it was relocated to the Methodist Church. I still think of Watson as my roots...and In the fall, I always remember the comforting sound that came from McKennon's Cotton Gin as they ginned cotton all night long. michael rice

Rachel Dobson said...

Hi Michael,
Thanks for passing through. It's so interesting that this is the blog entry that has gotten attention. So many people out there from Watson! Granny (Lois) died in 1972, very suddenly. I was 12 but I remember her like she is still around. I think Granddaddy must have donated the organ after she died. He only just died in 2000 at age 96, and was completely himself until the end. Are you kin to Doyle Rice? I have a picture of him you might enjoy, so if you come through this way again, let me know and I'll send you a jpeg.

Brannon Lamb said...

I left Watson when I was 18 (1992) and didn't move back until I was 31. I have lived all over the country, from Florida to New York to California, and none of these places could replace Watson as home. I travel a lot, and I feel comfort knowing my family is at home in Watson with close family and friends. I hope that everyone who has left here and become successful will give something back, in anyway they can. If you haven't been here in a while, it has changed. Almost all of the land around Watson is now farmed by people who live in Dumas or McGehee, there is no school in Watson or Rohwer. There is no gas station, but we do have a small store, the old Monkeys bar is a store now. We still have a liquor store and Bonnies cafe. The economy is horrible, and poverty is wide spread. However, it is still HOME.

Brandy Roebuck said...

Michael Rice-- I think you may have gone to school with my parents.